Internal

My service contributions for the period under review, internal to TRU, include:

Departmental & Divisional service

• PRC/APAR Working Group, Member. In this working group, I took the lead on gathering, documenting, and moving forward the proposed changes to the PRC portfolio requirements for the Coordinator, Educational Technologies role. These changes were determined collaboratively with Brenna Clarke Gray and Jamie Drozda, who are also Coordinators, Educational Technologies.
  • Workload Working Group, Member. In this working group, I took the lead on drafting a revised version of the workload breakdown for the Coordinator, Educational Technologies role to better capture the broader workload areas that our work falls into.
  • Digital Literacy Working Group, Member. In this working group, I co-led the process of envisioning how the digital literacy competencies from the B.C. Post-Secondary Digital Literacy Framework could be integrated in LT&I team programming. Since the scope of the competencies varied, I created a document to theme and frame things more clearly. It featured sub-themes, a conceptual categorization, and a hierarchy to showcase leveling. 
  • Learning Technology Working Group, Member. In this working group, my time was spent listening and gathering insight into the collaborative efforts between representatives from LT&I, Open Learning, and IT Services.  At this time, my contributions have been limited since I’m still building a foundational understanding of the inner workings of TRU systems.

Institutional service

• At the Fall 2022 Convocation on October 14, 2022, I was a volunteer who pinned program stoles on the graduate’s regalia, ensured they had their graduate caps on correctly, and directed them where to go for the procession.
  • At the TRU Open House on October 22, 2022, I was a volunteer who helped set up the venue, greeted guests, served coffee and treats to prospective students and families, and directed visitors to where they needed to go.
  • At the Condensed New Faculty Orientation (led by CELT) on January 3, 2023, I co-led a session with Brian Lamb that provided new faculty with information about learning technology support and answered questions they had about educational technologies at TRU.

External

My service contributions for the period under review, external to TRU, include:

• BCcampus Digital Literacy Resource Evaluation Working Group, Evaluator. BCcampus organized the first cohort of this working group that consisted of 12 evaluators from mainly BC public post-secondary institutions. My role was to evaluate 7 digital resources (out of 80) that were submitted as part of a call for open digital literacy content through BC Campus. The accepted resources will form an open repository that will be available to educators for personal skill development or for use in their courses with students. This initiative is based around the Digital Literacy Framework that is part of the B.C. Post-Secondary Digital Learning Strategy.

Reflection

For each of the roles listed above, my level of active participation varied from listening to gather context, voicing my opinions, providing assistance, providing feedback, or taking the lead on something. I was able to see how my contributions moved certain initiatives forward which was rewarding. Also, it provided me with new perspectives from different levels (divisional, institutional, external) to help inform matters related to my immediate team and my profession in general.

An area I want to grow in is institutional service. I would like to participate in more cross-campus initiatives and/or seek out a campus service commitment such as the Teaching and Learning Committee or Student Success Committee. I feel my experience with faculty support, educational technologies, and instructional design would offer value to any of these opportunities. 

Also, I am interested in seeking out external opportunities to collaborate on initiatives relevant to my profession or institutional directions that I can grow into. I have less experience with external service contributions so I look forward to developing in this area.