The table below highlights the different styles of instructional opportunities I led or co-led during the period under review. These include in person classroom workshops, online or hybrid sessions, and online module facilitation.

DateWorkshopRole
October 24, 2022Initial classroom workshop about building a WordPress site (in-person)
Class: ADVG 1276 – Business/Marketing Adventure Operations
24 students
Co-led with Brian Lamb
November 2, 2022Twine (online) 
LT&I offering for the TRU community as part of a larger “Let’s Play” series
Co-led with Jamie Drozda
November 9, 2022Follow up classroom workshop about building a WordPress site (in-person)
24 students
Co-led with Brian Lamb
February 8, 2023Initial classroom workshop about building a WordPress site (in-person)
Class: VISA 4990 – Graduating Seminar
9 students
Individually led
February 21, 2023Optimizing the Organization of a Moodle Course (hybrid)
40 minute session at the TRU Teaching Practices Colloquium (TPC)
Individually led
May 15- June 16 2023Module 2: Optimizing the Organization of a Moodle Course (online)
Part of the Inclusive Digital Design course developed by the LT&I team
Facilitator 
May 15- June 16 2023Module 4: Designing PowerPoint Presentations for All (online)
Facilitator 
May 17, 2023Artificial Intelligence: Questions and Guidance (hybrid)
Session led by LT&I team to ask/answer questions and inform TRU community of a CELT/LT&I collaboration on future AI programming
I moderated the online portion while Brenna Clarke Gray led the in-person portion.
May 25, June 1, June 8, June 15 2023Inclusive Digital Design Synchronous Sessions
Optional, informal sessions where course participants can ask questions, share their experiences, or work through a problem
Co-led with Brenna Clarke Gray and Jamie Drozda

Reflection 

My overall approach to instruction is to assess the needs of the learners and then design experiences around that. Then, depending on how the lessons are delivered, I employ a variety of teaching and learning strategies to support and enhance learning, as illustrated using the examples below:

• For online or hybrid sessions that I lead, I typically embody a visual storytelling style of instruction that uses strategic design techniques to guide learning (e.g. including the agenda at the top of the slides so participants know where they are along the learning journey). Throughout the presentation, to promote active learning, I implement quick activities that help participants assess their prior knowledge or test their recall and recognition of what’s being learned. Please see the Optimizing the Organization of a Moodle Course Slide Deck for an example.
  • For asynchronous offerings that I have developed and am facilitating, I incorporate a variety of media to illustrate the concepts being learned and integrate mini formative assessments (such as H5P activities or self-reflective activities) to keep learners engaged and active in their learning. My role as facilitator includes providing feedback on assessment submissions and answering questions participants may have. This involvement in an online asynchronous course helps to humanize the experience and guide learning by working through problems or points of confusion.
  • For in person classroom workshops about building a WordPress site, I begin by asking questions to recall previous knowledge and experience. Then, I model procedural work through screen sharing that is displayed on the classroom projector. This provides a visual demonstration of what students will be doing in WordPress to help them recall it later on their own. Also, step-by-step text based instructions that mirror what was displayed in class are also provided. This way, students are introduced to the material in a variety of formats to help guide their learning. Since my colleagues have been delivering classroom presentations for a number of years, they didn’t have a specific lesson plan they followed. So, in response to this, I built myself a lesson plan to keep myself organized and on-topic. Please see the WordPress Classroom Visit Lesson Plan for an example.

Peer Evaluation for Instruction

The following is my Peer Observation that was completed by Jamie Drozda. She reviewed my Optimizing the Organization of a Moodle Course session at the TRU Teaching Practices Colloquium.

Peer-Observation-Melanie-Latham